Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Day 30, 5.10.10. 542km, Longreach

Another long hot day today. I left Boulia at 8am to try and get as many kliks as possible out of the way before the day got really hot and boy did it get hot (40 degrees today). There were some 'mares tails' clouds behind me at the beginning of the day signalling a change coming through, but hopefully not for a day of so yet. The ride today was long, flat, straight and mostly boring. The only relief was the Cawnpore Lookout and hills for a bit of a view of this hard red landscape. I filled up at Middleton at the most run down excuse for a road house I have ever seen. I was assisted by an incredibly polite and helpful young 10 year old girl who seemed to be running the place. No adults were visible. Finally got to Winton at abaout 1pm, where I spent an hour wandering around the Waltzing Matilda Centre learning more about the history of our national song, followed by a coffee and sandwich. After that it was back on the road for more boring kilometres to Longreach, where I am now staying at the slightly scruffy, but quite cheap caravan park, where I last stayed in 2006. Tomorrow it will be the Qantas Museum and the Stockmans Hall of Fame.
Cawnpore Lookout view
The Waltzing Matilda Centre at Winton
This is what the scenery was like today - absolutely flat and boring

No comments:

Post a Comment