Monday, October 4, 2010

Day27, 2 Oct 2010, Mt Isa, 545km

I woke this morning very sore as my back and shoulder were very painful last night. I did consider having a night at Adels Grove, but it wasn’t cheap, so decided to hit the road south. This time I rode even more slowly through the horrible sand patches and didn’t fall off this time. I could have taken a much shorter route south, but it was mostly dirt, so I went back to Gregory Downs and Burke and Wills Roadhouse, before heading south to Cloncurry and Mount Isa where I have a cheap room for the next two nights. I will sightsee around Mt Isa tomorrow and on Monday, I have some shopping to do before heading off. The original plan was to head home via the Birdsville Track, but it has recently been closed due to heavy rains and although mostly dried out, I believe there are still patches of very muddy road, so I will pass on that one. The choice is to head south by going east or head west and come back via Tennant Creek and Alice Springs. I think that coming back via the east will be better as there is still plenty to see there, but I will have to plan the route carefully to avoid the bad weather which has affected the region.
Desert Hills outside of Lawn Hill

Leichardt River near Gregory Downs
 
Taking a break from the 38 degree heat

No comments:

Post a Comment