Sunday, October 24, 2010

End of blog, 24.10.2010. 568km, Molesworth, Tas

Well I hope you all enjoyed the story of my big adventure. I'm back at home at last and heading back to work tomorrow. Last week I worked for 3 days in Sydney for the NRS and then back to holidays. Brian and I took the bikes (Brian has an F800GS BMW) and we had a great days touring in western Gippsland, visiting some friends and finding some fun roads. Unfortunately I forgot my camera that day, so no piccies (sorry). Friday, I helped Brian and Rose in the garden for the morning, before repacking the bike and after fond farewells to two most wonderful friends headed for the boat back home. The boat ride was nothing interesting, except that I had to buy a cheap tee shirt as all my clothes were ready for the wash. Called into Devonport on Saturday morning for a cuppa with good mate Wayne and then down the boring Midlands Highway to home. Yesterday afternoon and today was spent washing clothes and cleaning the bike.
In summary - it was a good trip. Highlights were Cobbold Gorge, the sunset at Karumba Point and Lawn Hill, all spots I missed seeing in 2006 due to the Cyclone Larry floods. Low points were failing to make Cape York and the Birdsville Track. I am now very aware that I needed to be 30 years younger, on a much lighter bike and with much greater off road riding experience if I was to complete those two challenges. Maybe I'll do them with a 4WD one day. However the bike was everything I could have wanted, Comfortable, reliable and smooth over the more than 10,000km of the trip. I am very much a fan of the BMW R1200GS. Thank you for following my adventures. I am not sure what will be my next big adventure aboard the big lady, although New Zealand is looking pretty good. I will let you know, when it happens. Cheers.
Waiting to board the Spirit of Tasmania back home

No comments:

Post a Comment