Monday, October 4, 2010

Day 25, 30 Sept. 2010, 498km Lawn Hill

30th Sept 2010


Lawn Hill Gorge - what a magic place!
I left Karumba a little sadly. It is such a great little town up there on the gulf and it represents another box ticked off from the bucket list. Last night’s sunset was truly awesome, but with other objectives to be achieved. it was time to move on. Back through Normanton for petrol and heading south, I made Burke and Wills Roadhouse by about lunch time.  Turning right I headed towards Gregory Downs as the weather turned truly hot.  More petrol at Gregory Downs ($1.69 per litre – ouch!!!) and then on to the road to Lawn Hill National Park. I now have to admit that I am no dirt rider. I survived the road okay, albeit at about 60kph in third gear or less, but just before Adels Grove, a sudden patch of deep sand saw me sitting on the ground beside my collapsed BMW again. Luckily there was little damage this time, but lord that bike is heavy fully loaded. I got it up eventually and finally arrived at Lawn Hill camp grounds in an extremely foul mood, not made any better by the conditions at the camp site which were terrible. The tent site was just sandy dust and full of bugs, but as I had paid for it, I put up the tent anyway, swearing as I went. With the tent up, I walked down to the water and just jumped in – shorts, tee shirt and all. You can’t believe how good it felt. I had arrived at Lawn Hill!

No comments:

Post a Comment