Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Day 37, 12.10.2010, 422km Penola

This nasty little bloke used to live around here. Thank goodness he's extinct
Inside the Narracoorte Caves


Fabulous, lovely Coonawarra
An interesting day for sure. I left Ouyen after a bad nights sleep. Don't know why, just a restless night. Maybe it's because the trip is coming to an end. Anyway the fgirst part wasn't very interesting. Crossed into South Australia at Pinnaroo and headed south through Bordertown where I had a coffee. As I headed towards Naracoorte, the weather started to darken and by the town it had started to pour. It didn't take too much thought to head towards the Naracoorte Caves. MeiYu and I had visited here about 6 years ago, arriving too late for the tour. No such problem this time. I had a nice lunch at the cafe and then did the self guided tour through 'Wet Cave' followed by the guided tour through the main cave. All the time it continued to pour. It was still raining by the time I left, but fortunately by Coonawarra it had stopped. Just the same, I was pretty wet, so I stopped at Penola at the caravan park, where the cabin is nice, but very expensive. After off loading the gear I went back into Connawarra, where I visited Patrick Winery, had some lovely tastings and bought a couple of very nice bottles for Brian and Rose, who I am staying with this weekend. Tomorrow I will head back into Victoria. I'm thinking of going back via Ballarat to get some new tyres on the bike. The current ones are very low and may be cause for some grief from the Victorian Police who will be out in force for the Gerand Prix.
The long straight road near Pinnaroo

No comments:

Post a Comment