Sunday, September 19, 2010

Day 14, 19th Sept 2010, 568km, Mackay

Mount Morgan gold mine
I slept really badly last night., Time is really catching up with me and I have to accept that I can't sleep on the ground any more. My back was agony and I slept very little. At 5.30am I gave up and went for a shower and shave, before packing up and on the road by 7.30am. It was a bit of a non event day really. The only highlight was visiting Mount Morgan which was once Australia's biggest gold mine. It's closed now and the town is desperately trying to reinvent itself as a tourism site. I stopped for a coffee and a pie. The rest of today was just a matter of keeping on moving. It was still cold and threatening rain until after Rockhampton, when things warmed upo conmsiderably. Had lunch at Marlborough and got to Mackay at abaout 2pm. Accommodation is quite hard to get at present as Queensland has school holidays at present until October 2nd. After several enquiries I ended up in a fully set up cabin at way higher cost than I can afford. Bugger; I will have to see the bank tomorrow about getting some more money. Tomorrow the bike goes in for its 20,000km service, so I will have a quiet day looking around Mackay. Cheers
The road out of Mount Morgan, great corners

No comments:

Post a Comment