Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Day 17, 22.9.2010, 140km, Forrest Beach

Soggy backpackers - behind them is the Wallaman falls - if only you could see them
Aaaahhh! This bloody weather is driving me crazy. There is a huge tropical low stationary over Queensland at present. The weather report says that it could remain here until next Wednesday and it is bringing huge bucket loads of rain with it. This morning I washed clothes, but they still aren't dry (no sun or wind), so they are hanging on the line under the deck here. Hopefully they might be dry by morning, but I am not holding my breath. I took my time today, waiting for the ever present rain to back off, but by about 11.30am, I gave up out of sheer boredom and frustration and headed into Ingham on the bike. I got some money from the bank and then headed out to Wallaman Falls, which is the highest waterfall in Australia. I had seen this place briefly once on my last trip in 2006 and it is well worth seeing. This year I had plans to do the bushwalk around the falls. As I got higher and higher into the mountains though, the rain and gloom got heavier. On arriving at the falls, I couldn't see a thing. The falls were fair roaring though as there must be a big load of water flowing over them. All I found there were about 10 backpackers, standing around hoping for a break in the gloom to see the falls. We all stood around for about 30 minutes before I gave up and went back to Ingham. I had planned to see the cemetary there, which I have heard is worth seeing, but by then I was drenched, so I gave up and headed back to the apartment, where I have been trying to dry out. I did manage to take a 30 minute walk along the beach, when the rain backed off for a bit. A horrible day. Tomorrow, I head off regardless and hope to end up some where between Mareeba and Laura, before tackling the Cape York track on Thursday.
Wallaman Gorge - this is a good as the view got
Forrest Beach - noice place!

No comments:

Post a Comment