Friday, September 10, 2010

Days 2 to 5

Day 2, 8 Sept. 2010, 371km
What can you say about doing the run to the Ferry. The midlands highway was slow and boring. I left home at about 10am and was in Launceston at 12.30,where I met a client to complete the signing up for their wedding on November 13th. I had lunch at the Blue Cafe, before heading on to Georgetown to check out Peppers Resort where another couple's ceremony will be held in December. After that I took the Frankford Highway to Devonport, enjoying all those lovely bends. At Devonport I visited Wayne and Caroline before a Macca's dinner (disgusting it was too) and headed for the boat. The two berth cabin was okay and the bloke I shared it with was chatty. Spent the evening chatting over a beer with Caroline, who was taking another load of bikes to the mainland.


Day 3, 9th Sept 2010 476km
Off the boat early (6.30am) and rode out to clients place to interview and sign up the couple for their wedding in December. The celebrancy work is finally starting to hot up which is great. Then rode out to the BMWorkshop at Ringwood where Chris set up the suspension and fitted an oiled foam air filter for the dusty conditions. I was on the road before 10am. Headed down the South Gippsland highway, turning north at Leongatha to Mirboo North where I decided to have a crack at the Grand Ridge Road. Thoeming had recommended this one in his Great Rides of Australia story. Yup; it was great. Lovely twisty bitumen and stunning scenery, followed by over 50km of very rough twisting log tracks through dense forest. It took a long time, but I wouldn't have traded it for anything. It was great fun and the majestic BM handled it all with aplomb. The more I ride the big lady the more in love with it I am. I finally cvame out of the scrub near Traralgon and headed east along the boring Princes Highway to Bairnsdale, turning left to Buchan and riding through some lovely near deserted twisting roads. By Buchan however the weather had packed it in and it was raining fairly constantly. I threw the tent up, raced into the shops and bought a packet of soup and muesli bars before retiring to the tent for the evening. Read a book by torch light and crashed by 9.30pm.
Grand Ridge Road

Grand Ridge Road


Day 4, 10 Sept. 2010, 576km
Descent down to McKLillops Bridge Seriously scary road
A huge day. At about 4am my back packed it in despite the new (and very expensive) sleeping mat. After dozing through the pain for two hours I gave up and crawled out to find the showers. One problem, the campground people had the hot water turned off. so it was back to the tent to boil some water and have a quick wash before heading off at about 8am. The weather had cleared and it turned out fine for the Barry Way. The road was twisting and very picturesque. Good mate Greg had recommended the turn off near Suggen Buggen to McKillops Bridge and wow what a road it was. All dirt with views of the Little River gorge and falls absolutely spectacular. Then I got to the top of a ridge. There was a warning sign, but it was a sheer drop to the valley thousands of metres below. The only way down was on a track the width of one vehicle only with loads of blind corners. At one stage I was riding with a cliff of 50 metres to my right and a drop (unprotected) of over 50 metres to my left. I get vertigo pretty badly so it was bloody scary. At one stage I encountered two 4WD's coming the other way and had to perch on the precipice while they inched past me. The photo of it doesn't do it justice. Finally I recahed McKillops Bridge and the Snowy River with a huge sigh of relief. Greg I think you did this with the Nissan and caravan. Mate you're crazy!!. Anyway after that the road got easier. It was still dirt, but in okay condition, despite recent rains.  Scenery was still excellent. I finally got back on to the bitumen at Delegate and not a moment too soon as the weather packed it in again. It was torrential all through the mountains, even heavy hail at one point. Miserable. Finally got through to the coast at Bega, where the weather cleared and it was warm and sunny from there on. At Bega I had a great lunch and stopped at the Cheese factory to get some goodies for Rob and Chris, then pushed on up the coast (long and boring - I hate highways) to Nowra to receive a fantastic welcome from Rob and Chris. A hot shower, a great dinner and at last I felt human. Ah civilisation does have its benefits when you have been in the cuds.
Little River Gorge
McKillops Bridge across the Snowy River

No comments:

Post a Comment