Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Day 16, 21st Sept 2010, 540km, Forrest Beach

Cane Fields approaching Mount Elliott before Townsville
A good day in contrast to yesterday. The morning started cloudy and looking like rain, but fortunately it held off for the day. I left Mackay at abaout 8.45am and just kept heading north. At Bowen, I went into town to find a Macca's and have a coffee and a muffin. It was enough for me for the day. I considered dropping in to have a better look at Finch Hatton Gorge, but the road was closed.  I skipped dropping in on Airlie Beach as I have seen it before. I want to see new stuff. As I planned to stay in Ingham for a couple of nights, I wanted to get there early to get a van for the night, but I wasn't early enough and the one van park was full. I nded up about 25km out on the beach, where the local pub pointed me at the local real estate agents. Tom Venables is a lovely old guy, who couldn't find his wife to arrange accommodation for me so he sent me on to his house to sit on his deck till he could locate her. We ended up having a home brew as well as being given a papaya for my dinner. What I have ended up with is an apartment near the beach. It is very nice, so I shall stay here for a couple of nights and spend tomorrow doing some washing as well as the bushwalk around Wallaman Falls among others. I have calculated that I am about 5 days ahead of schedule, so I can now take some time to see some of the things I missed last time I was here. One thing I have noticed is the simply enormous number of grey nomads with their camper vans, caravans and camper trailers. There are thousands of them.  It's been great riding along and listening to Pink, Matchbox 20, Paul Kelly and Linkin Park thumping out their music. Great days indeed. It's also getting hot. Today was over 30 degrees. I believe it was 37 degrees in Weipa. The plan is to head for the Cape, Thursday to Sunday
Mount Abbott near Proserpine

No comments:

Post a Comment