Saturday, September 25, 2010

Day 20, 25.9.2010, 217km, Cooktown

Banana plantations at Lakeland
I slept very badly last night; tossing around in my mind whether to persevere or head back. Conversations with the locals indicated that north of Musgrave Roadhouse the road had been graded and was in good condition, but after the Weipa turn off it would be much worse all the way to the top with some very deep sand patches. On the roads, I had been travelling so far, I was only able to maintain 60kph or less and it would take me 4 days to reach the end at that rate, even if I didn't crash again. The condition of the road couln't be improved by the continuous road trains, trucks and 4WD's which rolled past all night. In the end I made what I think was the best decision and decided to head back. Cape York is best managed with a well equipped 4WD and the overloaded BM is just not suited to this type of trip. I'm feeling pretty gutted though as I had my heart set on achieving this objective. Still there are still a lot of other objectives on the list. I took it very carefully going back. The patch of sand that tipped me off was taken in first gear with the feet out. While having a drink at Luara, I had a conversation with a couple from USA, who saiud I was very brave attempting a trip like this on my own; more like dumb, but at least I impressed someone. At Cooktown,I headed to the caravan park I last stayed at in 2006 which is a lovely site, but van prices have risen, so not cheap. Currently watching the AFL final (go Saints!), so there is a positive there. I,ve had a good sleep and tomorrow I will head for Chillagoe Caves. I will catch you then.
Black Mountain near Cooktown
The shop at Laura

1 comment:

  1. Oh Dave, how disappointing that you have to give up your goal! Hope you are not too bad after your spill and the bike is holding up ok - take care on those roads!
    Liz, Heath and Myles

    ReplyDelete