Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Day 24, 29.9.10, 252km, Karumba

At long last folks. The Gulf of Carpentaria. What a beautiful sight!
A big storm brewing over the gulf


Karumba Sunset 1
Karumba Sunset - How good is this!
Karumba Sunset - I am lucky to be seeing this
Well this is one of the bucket list I can finally say I have ticked off. I failed to make Karumba in 2006, when all the roads were flooded following Cyclone Larry, but this time I made it. I got an early start this morning from Croydon to miss as much of the heat as possible. Yesterday was 38 degrees C. and today is forecast to be as hot, so I was on the road by just after 7am. Had to dodge a few roos, which were still feeding beside the roiad, but no problems really. I got to Normanton, which is still a dingy, unhappy looking place and got another tourist to take a photo of me with a life size replica of the worlds biggest ever crocodile, which was shot by a lady near here in 1957. The size of the thing has to seen to be believed. After that I headed to Karumba and it was quite a thrill to finally be at the Gulf. I have taken a cabin at the local caravan park, which may be a good idea as there is an absolute monster storm heading this way, complete with thunder and lightning. The rain passed to the south of us, but the clouds contributed to the stunning sunset I experienced at Karumba Point. There is a large pub on the beach with outstanding views over the beach to the sunset. Large crowds had all set up to watch it and was it ever worth it. An incredibly beautiful sight. I will treasure these photo's. Tomorrow I will head for Lawn Hill National Park. I hope the road isn't too bad as there is a lot of dirt riding to do. Cheers
Believe or not, this quiet spot is Creen Creek, which nearly drowned me in 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment