Friday, September 24, 2010

Day 19, 24.9.10, 355km, Hann River Roadhouse

Today was one of the toughest I have ever experienced on a motorcycle. Last nights stay was one of the nicest so far. A very luxurious cabin with nice facilities. I managed to get all my washing dry and slept very well. Heading out at about 8am, I stopped off at the Mareeba Coffee Works for a mocha and a cake, then headed north through progressively drier country. Turned off at Lakeland and encountered some dirt to Laura, but nothing I couldn't handle. After Laura however the conditions turned very ugly indeed, with never ending corrugations and enormous quantities of deep sand. About 20km north of Laura, the ineviteble happened and I hit a deep patch of sand at about 60kph and suddenly crashed. I had to take everything off the bike before I could pick it up again. I was okay, but the right pannier had taken a belting. I managed to throw some straps around it and carried on, eventually ending up at Hann River, where I borrowed a large hammer and a log and bashed the pannier back into reasonable shape. It was only 3.30pm, but I was exhausted from the effort and concentration and opted to put up the tent for the night. Probably for the best as over the night my right thumb and shoulder stiffened up and I was feeling pretty down. However there were several campers there and they got me feeling better with the help of several beers. I had a good meal at the Roadhouse and crashed into the tent at 8.30pm
Mount Carbine mine
Look out near Palmer River
Start of the dirt road
My pannier after the crash

Mt Desailly from Bob's look out

No comments:

Post a Comment