Thursday, September 23, 2010

Day 18, 23.9.2010, 354km Atherton

Murray Falls
Mausoleums at Ingham Cemetary
Paronella Park
Paronella Park
Elinjaa Falls
A good day thank goodness. The rain continued well into last night and despite having the clotehs on the line for over 18 hours they were still saturated this morning, so I had to pack them into bags and wear the cleanest of the dirty clothes (yuck). Anyway I got going at about 8am. First up I visited the Ingham Cemetary. The cemetary has a high number of ornate mausoleums built by the Italian Catholic population of the area. After that it was on to the Bruce Highway, heading north. Further up the road I saw a sign to Murray Falls, whuich was well worth the 40km side trip. A further turn off saw me visiting 'Paronella' This place is a huge ruined gardens and buildings built last century by a crazy Spanish guy. It is run now as a tourist attraction. Typical of a pivately run tourist attraction the whole objective is to squeeze money from the tourists though. I liked what I saw, but avoided the tour groups and the shops and after half an hour headed off again. After Innisfail, I turned left and rode up into the Tablelands, I visited a number of waterfalls which were fantastic, before stopping here at Atherton. The cabin I have is very nice, but way too expensive. Once I am off the East Coast tourist trail, cheaper accommodation should be easier to find, I hope. Tomorrow it's off on the Cape York Road, so the fun begins
Milaa Milaa Falls near Atherton

No comments:

Post a Comment