Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Day 23, 28.9.2010, 313km, Croydon




Freshwater Croc at Cobbold Gorge

Cobbold Gorge
Today was baking hot, about 38 degrees C., but what a great day. Wayne and Sue had recommended doing Cobbold Gorge after they had been there last year (thanks guys!), so I phoned througha booking loast night and hoit the road at 7am this morning for the 80km dirt ride. This road was in good condition for north Queensland, so I was able to make good time there. The tour is $65.00 which is actually excellent value. It takes abaout 3 hours involving a 4WD coach ride, a bush walk and the vboat trip up the gorge. The gorge itself would have to be one of the most beautiful trips I have ever taken. The gorge itself has been created up an old fault line, but has been eroded and sculpted by the water and time to create a small area of incredible beauty. The pictures just don't do justice to this natural wonder, but I hope you get the idea. Finishing at 12pm, I had a brief lunch and then hit the road to Croydon, where I am sleeping in the tent again. I hope I sleep alright. Tomorrow, I will head for Korumba to watch the sunset over the gulf before heading for Lawn Hill. Cheers



No comments:

Post a Comment